Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

AchievementOfTheFirstPhdScolorInPuducherry

Let it be Persons with Disabilities Equal Opportunity act or Right to
Free Education act. They all will become fruitless with the heartless
executive body and people in responsible positions.
It is vivid that only the assumption of office as the 5th vice
chancellor of Pondicherry University by   Padmashri  Prof. J.A.K.
Tareen in 2007   was the dawn of the welfare measures for the
differently abled. Till then, there was no significance for our
community of the disabled in which I am a part with 100% visual
impairment.  He came as the vision for the sightless and a walking
stick for the physically challenged. In short, he is the savior of all
the differently abled students and scholars on the campus. The first
most benefited one among my differently abled brethren   is none other
than me.  Yes. Irrespective  of my eligibility I was denied  admission
for Ph.D. in English by the department in July 2007. It was then with
an appeal from Prof. the then Member of Parliament and the present
Director of Pondicherry University Prof. M. Ramadass  the esteemed
vice chancellor plunged into action and made my admission possible
amidst various challenges thrown before him. Withat, I became the
first visually challenged resident of Puducherry to have registered
for Ph.D. Since that day, his support to me has been very constant.
Further, he encouraged me to publish my M.Phil dissertation titled
Formulation of Guidelines in Teaching English as a Second Language to
the visually challenged as a  book. For that book, the first
auspicious message  I received was from none other than the  esteemed
vice chancellor. Every time I met him during my course of study, he
encouraged and motivated me for my future prospects. Following my
troublesome  and challenging admission into Ph.D. in English in
September 2007, his differently challenged  friendly implimentations
are countless. A few among them to be listed are:
1. Computers in the respective departments with speaking softwares
2. separate computers with internet  access exclusively for the
visually challenged scholars and students in the central library.
3. Absolutely  free education for all differently abled students and scholars.
4. A separate section in the central library to be set up soon with
the world's most advanced technological devices.
The most vital among all  was the employment of many qualified
differently abled teachers in the departments of Commerce,  Sociology
and centre for social exclusion and inclusive policies. I have no
objection to state that before his becoming the vice chancellor there
was not even a single teacher with visual impairment but now the
university has 3. With this it is vivid that the  esteemed vice
chancellor not only gives quality education but also quality
employment opportunity  to the eligible differently abled brethren.
On reading this mail, any one may raise a question what is so special
in implementing   the persons with disability   equal opportunity act
95  To them my question is that, how  many employers and educational
institutions have implemented  all provisions contained in that act.
If it  were the case, almost all the differently abled brethren  would
have received quality education and  decent employment. Though there
are laws governing the rights of the disabled, only a handful of  kind
and noble hearted people like Padmashri Prof. J.A.K. Tareen the
esteemed vice chancellor come forward to give our rights with no
grudge. Only because of such noble hearted people, people like me
could come up in life. My wish is that  all vice chancellors should
draw inspiration from our Esteemed vice chancellor. I really  admit
from the depth of my heart  that Prof. Tareen is the real guardian of
the differently abled community. Hence with grate respect and
reverence, I have whole heartedly dedicated   my Ph.D. dissertation
titled Puducherry Writings in English: A Historical and Critical study
to the noble hearted Padmashri Prof. J.A.K. Tareen the  true guardian
of our educational and employment rights with the  following words: "I
dedicate this dissertation to Padmashri Prof. J.A.K. Tareen, the
Esteemed Vice Chancellor of Pondicherry University without the
constant support of whom my quest for Ph.D. would have been a mere
dream.

-- "COMING TOGETHER  IS A BEGINNING, KEEPING TOGETHER IS A PROGRESS
AND WORKING TOGETHER IS A SUCCESS."
With best regards,  D, Ramkumar, Assistant Professor and Head,
Department  of English,   Kasthurba College for Women, Puducherry
andPHD Scholar in English, Pondicherry university (a central
University). Mobile:  09626663382 home:  0413 3290383
 skipe name: ramkumarpondicherry  alternate email id: drk_wisdom@yahoo.co.in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here to improve postings, information and quality.